Thursday, February 02, 2012

I missed a good bet the other day

When I notice a race result with a young horse or possible future claim that I want to follow, I add that horse to my "stable alert" list. I use BRIS rather than Equibase for email alerts simply because I started out with BRIS a million years ago before Equibase offered the service. So the other day I got an email alert, two days out, for an entry of one of my horses in a stake race at Gulfstream and on the morning of the race I made a show bet on that 12-1 shot through my TVG account, then went on with my day doing other things.

I found out later in the day that my horse scratched out of the stake at Gulfstream and raced instead in an ALW at Tampa Bay. Unfortunately I never got the entry for the race at Tampa Bay so I didn't bet it and of course my horse won the race at 5-2 odds. So I'm pretty mad when I find out my horse was double entered and I only got the one entry notice. Why is it legal in this case to double enter? Because one of the races was a stake that required a nomination fee.

Just thought I'd mention this to let owners know they can nominate and enter for a stake, then scratch if it comes up too tough so their horse can run in an easier spot on the same day. I don't know if there are exceptions to the rule depending on the state, or other considerations.

I'd like to hear more about the rules on double entering if anyone would like to elaborate.

No comments: